SEE Instructor for “Mechanical Engineering: Magic Fluids“
Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012
B.E., Energy and Power Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, 2007
|2014-present||Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UMBC|
|2012-2014||Post-doctoral Researcher, Department of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Kansas|
|2012||Post-doctoral Research Associate, Iowa State University|
Honors and Awards
Maryland Offshore Wind Energy Research (MOWER) Challenge Grant, Co-Investigator, 2014
Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 2012
Alexander Lippisch Memorial Scholarship, Iowa State University, 2010
My group aims to develop state-of-the-art high performance computing tools capable of simulation at extreme scale, and thus to bring new possibilities to the analysis and design of complex systems arising from mechanical, aerospace, marine, biomedical, civil engineering, meteorology, and so on. Current engineering/science foci of my group are on renewable energy harvesting, flapping wing aero-hydrodynamics, fluid-structure interaction, numerical optimization, and nonhydrostatic mesoscale atmospheric modeling. The algorithm development efforts are focused on high-order accurate numerical methods, including discontinuous Galerkin (DG), flux reconstruction/correction procedure via reconstruction (FR/CPR), and spectral difference (SD) methods, shock capturing algorithms for high-order CFD methods, and efficient numerical algorithms for solving nonlinear dynamical systems.
My research group is also interested in validating the numerical and theoretical studies through experimental measurement. For example, we have used particle image velocimetry (PIV) to investigate wake vortex structures behind oscillating wings, and verified our numerical and theoretical studies in this area. We are passionate about using an integrated numerical and experimental approach to improve our ability to understand the natural world, and to advance engineering design for the enhancement of human welfare and environmental sustainability.
Classes Taught at UMBC
|ENME645||Applied Computational Thermo/Fluid Dynamics|
- Yu M. L., & Wang Z. J. (2015). Homotopy Continuation for Correction Procedure via Reconstruction – Discontinuous Galerkin (CPR-DG) Methods, AIAA-2015-0570, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition (SciTech 2015), Kissimmee, Florida, Jan. 5-9, 2015.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Liu Y. (2014). On the Accuracy and Efficiency of Discontinuous Galerkin, Spectral Difference and Correction Procedure via Reconstruction Methods, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 259, pp. 70-95.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Hu H. (2014). Numerical Optimization of Flapping Foil Kinematics Using High-Order Spectral Difference Method, Acta Aerodynamica Sinica, Vol. 32, pp. 727-740.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Farokhi S. (2014). Impact of Mean Flow Shear on the Wake Vortical Structure behind Oscillating Airfoils, AIAA-2014-2995, the 32nd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, Jun. 16-20, 2014.
- Park J. S., Yu M. L., Kim C. & Wang Z. J. (2014). Comparative Study of Shock-Capturing Methods for High-Order CPR: MLP and Artificial Viscosity, ICCFD8-2014-0067, the 8th ICCFD Conference, Chengdu, China, Jul. 14-18, 2014.
- Yu M. L., & Wang Z. J. (2014). Shock Capturing for the Correction Procedure via Reconstruction Method Using Artificial Viscosity and Diffusivity, ICCFD8-2014-0079, the 8th ICCFD Conference, Chengdu, China, Jul. 14-18, 2014.
- Yu M. L., & Z. J. Wang (2013). Numerical Simulation of Oscillating-Wing Based Energy Extraction Mechanism Using High-Order Spectral Difference Method, AIAA-2013-2670, the 31st AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, San Diego, California, Jun. 24-27, 2013.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Hu H. (2013). High Fidelity Numerical Simulation of Airfoil Thickness and Kinematics Effects on Flapping Airfoil Propulsion, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 42, pp. 166-186.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Hu H. (2013). Formation of Bifurcated Wakes behind Finite-Span Flapping Wings”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 2040-2044.
- Yu M. L., & Wang Z. J. (2013). On the Connection between the Correction and Weighting Functions in the Correction Procedure via Reconstruction Method, Journal of Scientific Computing, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 227-244.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Hu H. (2012). Airfoil Thickness Effects on the Thrust Generation of Plunging Airfoils, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1434-1439.
- Yu M. L., Hu H. & Wang Z. J. (2012). Experimental and Numerical Investigations on the Asymmetric Wake Vortex Structures of an Oscillating Airfoil, AIAA-2012-0299, the 50th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, Tennessee, Jan. 9-12, 2012.
- Yu M. L., Wang Z. J., & Hu H. (2011). A High-Order Spectral Difference Method for Unstructured Dynamic Grids, Computers & Fluids, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 84-97.